The City of Kings Mountain owns the 1939 Post Office building which now serves as Kings Mountain Historical Museum's main Exhibit Hall, Gift Shop, and collections storage area. The building is located at 100 East Mountain Street, and it maintains much of its original architecture and interior design.
Behind the Post Office building, KMHM features a scenic Museum Commons with two relocated 19th century structures, the Robert Barber House and the George W. Cornwell House. The Museum Commons area also features a replica historic herb garden, plenty of space for group outdoor activities, and a great place for taking photos. In the winter time, the profile of Kings Mountain is visible on the horizon.
Visitors are welcome to stroll the grounds of the Museum Commons during our open hours from 10am - 4pm Tuesday - Saturday. Interpretive signs are installed near the houses and brochures are available in the Museum to guide a self-tour. The Barber and Cornwell Houses are currently open for special events and by appointment only. Please call 704-739-1019 or email email@example.com to schedule a group tour.
The George W. Cornwell House was built in 1876, two years after the City of Kings Mountain was incorporated. The house was originally located on King Street. According to a census record, George Cornwell was the town’s wagon maker. This house is used to interpret the early development of the City of Kings Mountain and its founding fathers.
The Robert Barber House was built in the second quarter of the 19th century. Robert Barber owned and operated a farm consisting of over 800 acres of land in the White Plains area of Cleveland County. The Barber House is partially furnished to assist in interpreting the lifestyles and domestic skills practiced in the western Piedmont in the early 1800s.